The earliest building on this site was most likely constructed during the mid 18th century. Later it expanded and modified to a solid, washed and quarried limestone set of buildings, with its own spring well within the curtilage. Its layout and construction, tends to identify it as a fortified farm house in keeping with the unsettled times at the end of the 18th century. It provided a dwelling and a semi-courtyard, surrounded by natural slate-roofed stables, byres and outhouses, with loft areas for fodder and storage.
Members of the Brophy family have lived in Jigginstown House since the early 19th century (1827) and were resident family for nearly 200 years, until the end of the 20th century. The two story family home was modified by them shortly afterwards in early 19th century, adding elements of interior Georgian elegance, providing Adam styled fireplaces and surrounds, breakfast and drawing rooms, paved courtyard and tennis court. A noted dignitary to have enjoyed occasional hospitality in Jigginstown House, whilst journeying his way during the first half of the 19th century, from his home in the south of Ireland to Dublin and London, was ‘The Liberator’, Daniel O’Connell, who died in 1847.